Monday 27 October 2014

Week 7: Inferences and Sorting Strategies

What's up everyone this is Kyle checking in to bring you a week 7 report on the happenings of CSC 165. You may have noticed that there was no blog post for week 6, I deeply apologize for that. That week was quite heavy with work as I had a calculus mid-term as well as an essay to submit so I did not have too much time on my hands. So, to make it up to you guys I'm going to be doing a double header today, posting up a blog for week 6 and week 7. Now that formalities are out of the way, let's get started with the weekly roundup.

This week we started off by reviewing the methods in disproving false statements. However, it did not have to do with how to disprove false statements. Rather, we learned the dangers of proving a claim false. The main risk had to do with incorrectly negating a statement in order to prove the negation of a false claim. After that, we moved on to talking about the allowed inferences of proofs. All the inferences involved concepts we explicitly learned in week 6 such as proof rules for universal and existential claims, implications, and so on and so forth, so it was not hard to wrap my head around. On Wednesday, we started going over sorting strategies, and all the different kinds of sorting strategies. We discussed which strategies were the best in terms of complexity, time to sort, and the number of steps it takes to sort. I was able to understand the examples  Finally, we ended the week with a nice problem solving exercise. I think I'll detail that problem in a separate blog post very soon. Anyways, this week was a relatively easy week in terms of concepts, I was able to solve the first part in a relatively short time while working within a group. The second part I was able to figure out on my own through rigorous testing of all possible values. I have yet to tackle the third part as we had run out of time by the time I reached that problem. In terms of the steps that I took to understand this week's concepts, all I really had to do to fully understand the concepts of proofs and inferences were to just practice them. All this information will definitely help me complete assignment two.

Well that wraps up this week 7 report, I hope you guys enjoyed listening to my weekly story, and I want to hear from you. What approaches did you all have to fully understand the concepts of this week's lectures? Were you able to solve all the problems during our exercise? Let me know in the comments below. As always, words are hard, comp-sci is awesome, and later days. This is Kyle Mendoza signing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment