Sunday 28 September 2014

CSC165 Week 3-4, Converting Symbols to English and Back Again

What's up everyone, this is just me checking back in to bring you a little weekly round up of week 3-4 of CSC165. This week was heavily based on the contents of chapter 2 in our course notes. Special emphasis was placed on converting specific English operators into symbols and vice versa. Generally, I found this week to have been very challenging compared to last week. It took me a lot longer to grasp the concepts of this week's lectures. Maybe I need more practice converting  from English to symbols and back again but I found that I had difficulty knowing when to use for all, for some, and how to incorporate implications, disjunctions and conjunctions into a symbolic statement. The tutorial definitely helped me a lot though, and I felt pretty confident that I knew what I was doing after it ended. At the end of this week professor Heap presented us with quite a difficult problem. We had to find a recursive pattern that would help us predict the number of up and down creases would be produced by folding a piece of paper left to right over and over again. This definitely made me look back and use the steps to solving a problem more rigorously and with the help of two partners we made decent headway into the problem. Though we haven't been able to come up with a full mathematical solution we essentially have a pattern and all that needs to be done now is just write up a recursive sequence for it.

Well that's it for this week's SLog report. I hope all of you have enjoyed reading about my week and comment below; did you guys have had the same difficulties as I had or  did  you just find this week easy and maybe I'm the one who needs to step it up?  Good luck with everything next week, this is Kyle Mendoza signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment